[Pipet Devel] locus vs. node naming

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Mar 31 18:36:50 EST 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

>     I know before you all kind of decided that it would be best to
> refer to individual elements as nodes, as opposed to loci. And this
> was fine with, but I started thinking about it and I see one big
> problem with this: DOM. In DOM, the base "thing" is a node.
>     So, if I start referring to everything as a node, this is going to
> make things really confusing really fast, because the definition layer
> code uses *a lot* of DOM.
>     Can we either use "locus/loci" in the definition layer, or think
> up a new term that won't clash with DOM so much?

This is a 'simple' namespace problem, which can usually be solved by appending
the application's name.  So, instead of 'node', you can use...

    vshnode

or if we want to distinguish between layers...

    blnode
    plnode

BTW, about the BL nodes, I was thinking that since these always have an
Internet location, they could be referred to as a node of type 'locus'.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |