[Pipet Devel] Re: Sodipodi and Loci

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon May 15 18:50:01 EDT 2000

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> > I saw Miguel demonstrate a Bonobo SVG object when he gave a talk in Boston a
> > few months ago, but I don't know exactly what he used.
>
> SVG?

Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML definition of vector
(non-raster/bitmap) graphics.  It was submitted to the W3C as a web standard
but is being used elsewhere.

My thoughts about the use of SVG in Piper are that vector graphics can be
defined just like an ordinary GUI: both (will) use XML.  Recall some earlier
posts about an "XML representation of a GUI".

> I aint really sure if what I'm about to say is obvious, but what if nautulus
> supports to embed a bonobo component, what if we were to do some coding to add
> support for this to the definition or brokering layer. I skip the user interface
> because of functionality re-use. Keeps
> coding new UI more easy.

It'd be nice if we had a reusable Bonobo component for UI's (I think that is
what you're saying).  But, since Bonobo is entirely desktop-oriented (and
Gnome-based), such support belongs in the UIL, IMHO.

> I've been browsing bonobo some time ago, and I think hooking this quite simple,
> but I do not know whether there's Python bindings for this, for bonobo and for
> the gtk_plug widgets.  gtk_socket support would be nice, but isn't needed.
> Problem might be if bonobo requiers gtk to operate.

>From what I gather, "Python-Bonobo" has been a difficult thing to produce,
since the Bonobo definition is immature and keeps changing.  But I definitely
look forward to seeing such an animal :-)

> Jeff: maybe you could explain the basic structure of the souces of the UI?
> I didn't dare reading Python sources yet :)

Directory structure or the core requirements to construct a UI?

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |