[Pipet Devel] LaTeX etc. WAS executing a network script

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue May 9 23:19:25 EDT 2000

Gary Van Domselaar wrote:

> Once I have the server running (very close now), I will refocus my
> efforts on writing documentation, so I would like some consensus on
> which environment we choose to write our documentation, as I feel it is
> important to preserve the style, and reuse the content of the
> documentation that we create.

It's nice knowing that someone will manage the final production of
documentation :-)  To make it easier for Gary and his team of documentors, we
do need to come to some concensus about the format that our writings will come
in.  We can work with different interfaces, providing there is one GOOD format
that we can all export things to.

I think LaTeX is a good middle-ground.  Jarl, I just checked AbiWord, and it
does output LaTeX files.  AbiWord works a LOT like M$ Word:

    http://www.abisource.com/

There's also Rich-Text (RTF).  But LyX doesn't output RTF, and I don't know of
a LyX/LaTeX <-> RTF converter.

It'd probably be best to find something where an extra conversion step is not
needed.  (I haven't found one word proc that outputs DocBook, BTW.)

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |