[Pipet Devel] LaTeX etc. WAS executing a network script

Gary Van Domselaar gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
Tue May 9 21:24:01 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> > Gary and David were starting (very preliminary) to document Loci with
> > DocBook.  Can someone explain why DocBook might or might not be
> better than
> > LyX/LaTeX?

I don't have the experience with LaTeX to say which way is better. We
chose to document loci with DocBook, because it is oriented for
technical document writing, plus you can generate many different types
of output from the SGML (or XML, on the way BTW) source code.  There is
a strong push from the GNOME crowd to build a structered document editor
that supports DocBook (GNOME itself supports DocBook), and we just felt
at the time that DocBook is a better solution.  I still feel that way.
Like LaTeX, the biggest problem is installing the tools (from Cygnus)
and learning all the tags.  Can someone tell me why LaTeX is better than
DocBook?

Once I have the server running (very close now), I will refocus my
efforts on writing documentation, so I would like some consensus on
which environment we choose to write our documentation, as I feel it is
important to preserve the style, and reuse the content of the
documentation that we create.

Regards,

g.

--