[Pipet Devel] GConf, Loci, pickles, etc.

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Tue May 30 21:57:51 EDT 2000

deanne at density.biop.umich.edu wrote:

> Don't know if this is useful or if you know about it, but here's a link to
> a description of GConf, a library that is meant to "leapfrog" over the
> concept of a "Registry". It seems to have some useful features and it
> might be nice to think about possibly going into compliance with it
> w/piper if we are pretty well gnomified.
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/feature/current/index.html

This was bounced around on the Loci list in yonder days gone past, but I
haven't heard from Jarl or Jean-Marc.  Basically, there were many shrills on
the other list about using anything that resembled the M$ regi$try.

Also, I will continue to stress that we don't want a dependency on a desktop
system for the CORE of Piper.  I hope that Piper can be installed, configured
and ran without the REQUIREMENT of a GUI.  Using GConf for the Gnome UI
(Pied/Piper) is fine with me, just not for everything else.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |