[Pipet Devel] BL PL design documentation

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Sep 11 18:49:52 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> I don't understand what you have against this mother-child (or maybe
> parent-child) thing. This is the standard terminology eg. when it comes to
> processes (child process, parent process). It's still clearer than talking about
> generation, which can mean more than one thing (eg. that we scrapped generation
> 1 and 2 before rewriting generation 3). As for grandma, it might not even
> contain BL at the end (it might just be called scheduler, DL2BL, ...)

I don't know.  It just sounds corny to me.  If you use "grandparent",
"parent", "child" (no discrimination against grandpa's and fathers ;-)), it's
fine with me.

BTW, did I get this right?:

    Part of the DL code base.  Spawns or communicates with
    multiple Parents

    The BL code base written by Jarl.  Spawns or communicates with
    multiple Children.

    Part of the PL code base.

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.