[Pipet Devel] BL PL design documentation

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Sep 11 18:49:52 EDT 2000

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

> I don't understand what you have against this mother-child (or maybe
> parent-child) thing. This is the standard terminology eg. when it comes to
> processes (child process, parent process). It's still clearer than talking about
> generation, which can mean more than one thing (eg. that we scrapped generation
> 1 and 2 before rewriting generation 3). As for grandma, it might not even
> contain BL at the end (it might just be called scheduler, DL2BL, ...)

I don't know.  It just sounds corny to me.  If you use "grandparent",
"parent", "child" (no discrimination against grandpa's and fathers ;-)), it's
fine with me.

BTW, did I get this right?:

  Grandparent:

    Part of the DL code base.  Spawns or communicates with
    multiple Parents

  Parent:

    The BL code base written by Jarl.  Spawns or communicates with
    multiple Children.

  Child:

    Part of the PL code base.

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.