[Pipet Devel] mention of Piper on Linux Weekly News

Bret Mogilefsky mogul-piper at gelatinous.com
Thu Sep 28 20:01:21 EDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:23:52PM +0000, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:
> ``Not paying the piper. Piper is "a system for managing multi-protocol
> connections between Internet-distributed objects." It's based on a number of
> GNOME components (Loci, GMS, and Overflow), and is seen as an open source
> answer to Microsoft's ".NET". The project is in its early stages, but has
> gotten far enough to have a screenshot up.
>
> ``They are, of course, looking for people who want to help. For more
> information, see the Piper web page and this GNOME News writeup.''
>
> http://lwn.net/2000/0928/devel.php3

How do you think we all got here?  =)

I'd planned to lurk, but seeing that there are so few developers currently perhaps I'll say more.  This project caught my interest mainly because I keep waiting to see what the next evolution of the ultra-powerful but ultra-unfriendly prompt-pipe combo.  This project and the Enlightenment File Manager are the first positive steps away from a pure prompt that I've yet seen.  I don't have a lot of Gnome/Bonobo development experience, but I'm strong in many other areas (game development background) which may or may not be useful as the project develops.

Hope it all goes well. =)

Bret

--
"Why, that's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!" --Guybrush
"LeChuck's dead. I blew him into a million gooey pieces."    --Guybrush