[Pipet Devel] about focus

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Fri Sep 29 10:49:53 EDT 2000

I just wanted to emphasize something at this point.  We have a number of
people coming together with different interests, and I think that is great.
But, because Piper is not focused on a particular application, that doesn't
mean Piper is unsuitable for it.  I don't want people to think that, because
it is not true.

Take GNOME as an example.  GNOME is a general-purpose system.  But, because it
is being used to write games by some people, that doesn't mean GNOME can't be
used to write other things, such as productivity applications.  Likewise,
because Piper might be use to build non-scientific systems, that doesn't mean
Piper can't be used to build scientific systems.

It has been my conviction that a general-purpose system will attract
developers and users with all sorts of interests, and that that will lead to
the development of things that can be used by developers with special
interests.  For example, signal processing tools may be useful to
bioinformaticists, and visa versa.  And, bioinformatics tools may be useful to
business people, and visa versa.  That's not even to mention that more
developers and more users will mean a more developed infrastructure and more
eyes to catch bugs.

The more the merrier :-)

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
               -- Martin Luther King, Jr.