[Pipet Devel] compaq beowulf cluster?

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Fri Feb 9 21:10:48 EST 2001

I was speaking with Prof. James Lyons-Weiler here at UMass Lowell today.  He
told me that he will be meeting with someone from Compaq in a short while
about "hardware needs".  I'm not clear about the purpose of the meeting, but I
mentioned that we (Bioinformatics.org and Piper) were hoping to get a grant to
buy a Beowulf cluster.

Prof. Lyons-Weiler told me that he can procure one from Compaq.  I asked him
about a 22-node Alpha Beowulf, valued at about $150,000.  He said that would
be no problem, and that he could get one by the end of the semester.  He also
mentioned setting up Beowulf "Piper nodes" across the 5 UMass campuses.

Well, it'd be beyond great if he could pull it off, and maybe he can.  He's a
new prof. with a lot of drive, and I don't think he was pulling my leg.  But,
like everything else, we will believe it when we see it, right?

J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein