[Pipet Devel] dl2bl file not written

Jarl van Katwijk jarl at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 3 19:36:11 EST 2001

"J.W. Bizzaro" wrote:

> Jarl van Katwijk wrote:
> >
> > I think the problem is that ./runpiper executes the BL too soon after
> > the PL is still booting up. If you know how to build in a delay before
> > the execution of the BL the problem is probably gone. Could you check
> > this out, I tried to find the Python code for a delay, but couldn't find
> > any.
>
> For a better, permanent solution, can we at some point have the PL (or each
> layer) "say" that they are ready?  Can we have the PL place its PID in a file
> somewhere?
The PL does do a pid writeout, to ~/piper_info/pids/PL.pid.{pidnr.}
The exsistence of this pid file does not garantee that the PL has fully
initialized. I agree this needs to be changed. I'll recode the dl,bl and
pl so that they only do a pid writeout after they are ready.

> I just think that an arbitrary delay might not always work.  What if the PL is
> on a slower computer and requires more time than N seconds?  And, on faster
> computers the PL might start much quicker than N seconds.
Yes, you're right. Will be fixed. I hope to have some time to do some
browsing, probably there're must better meganisms around.

jarl