[Pipet Users] Update

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Wed Feb 7 10:53:57 EST 2001

Nicolas Chauvat wrote:

> Narval is already using SOAP to connect the interpreter and the client
> GUI. We might end up using something else, as our current SOAP
> implementation is depressingly slow, but using SOAP has the benefit of not
> requiring an ORB.

Way back when Brad joined the Loci project, we designed and built our own
XML-based RPC, which used standard UNIX sockets.  It too proved to be
"depressingly slow", so we switched to CORBA.  CORBA was so much faster that
we trashed all of our previous work and stuck with CORBA wherever applicable.

Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein