[Pipet Users] modular design (was: Khoros and Cantata)

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Sun Feb 11 18:18:42 EST 2001

Jarl van Katwijk wrote:

> Ok, have a AIL (I'll just adopt the naming) as a seperate module
> (ofcourse with CORBA inferface(s)) is obvious to me. But putting it
> inbetween the DL and BL doesn't seem a good design to me. Neither
> intergrating it into the BL. The way I see a GP engine fit into piper is
> as a general support module. Something all layers could make use of.
> Sort off a base class for the total monster we call Piper ;)

Between the DL and the BL, even I am confused about which layer is "middle"
(and "base") .  I would define the base as the layer that would connect to
"shared" layers like the AIL, and I'd define the middle as the layer most
responsible for P2P connectivity.  They don't have to be one-in-the-same, but
I would make them so if it were entirely up to me.

During some of the discussions about design, I had been in favor of the BL
acting as the middle (and base), but some decisions by Brad and Jarl lead me
to believe that the DL is, at least in part, the middle.  Or maybe "there is
no middle"?

Jarl, I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Cheers.
Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein