[Pipet Users] Piper startup logging...

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Fri Jan 26 17:00:46 EST 2001

Hi Karl-Max;

> I know wrote all the stuff piper complains about into a file.
> Here is it:
[all of the errors piper generates]

Believe it or not, there are all expected -- at least, I get most of them
:-). Piper is still under heavy development, so some of this is
debugging output and some of this is errors that haven't been fixed
yet. You are doing excellent to have it all running. Congrats!

I'll handle the parts that I know about.

> Question: What is this environmental variable VSH_DL2BL_IOR all
> about ?

This is my debugging output. I'll actually remove this right now and
commit it so it doesn't complain about that any more. This is
something old that I was doing that never really worked out
well. Don't worry about this, the message'll be gone in CVS in a second.

> Piper seems to have a good memory: each time I start it up my
> old scribblings are there still.

I hope you like it -- that took a lot of coding :-). If you shut down
via the pop-up menu (session->quit) this is considered a "normal"
shutdown and you should get a blank screen when you start up. If you
shut down via the (X) in the upper left corner, then this is
considered a crash (well, just a simulated crash, for testing
purposes), and piper remembers what you were working on so you don't
have to re-do it all.

> Actually I have no idea whether I just can ignore all that
> because this is not completed yet or whether there is still
> something wrong and has to be ironed out. Hope that helps.

I think you're doing really well. Happy to hear you are trying it out!

Brad