[Pipet Users] Re: Open-source fans try to outflank .Net - Tech News - CNET.com

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Jul 5 18:23:30 EDT 2001

Here's a very telling quote:

    Last week, de Icaza said he's researched .Net extensively,
    likes it and believes having a version of .Net for Linux
    would be "good for Linux and Microsoft."

I heard Miguel talk in Boston last year, and he unabashedly says that he likes
and copies Microsoft programs for Gnome.  Personally, I think that both GNOME
and KDE are much too much like Windows AND EACH OTHER.

Here's a good question: Is it possible to create an "open-source Linux-based
clone" of a Windows-centric system/standard dictated by "embrace, extend,
extinguish" Microsoft?

Cheers.
Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org        http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                   -- Benjamin Franklin