[Pipet Users] compiling with gcc 2.96

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Thu Mar 22 17:10:14 EST 2001

Pipers,

We've tried compiling Piper and Overflow with GCC 2.96, the most recent GNU
compiler.  Unfortunately, we've encountered a number of problems that cannot
be fixed at the moment.  GCC 2.96 is an "experimental" compiler that (1) has
some bugs and (2) is not fully ANSI C++ compatible.  It is also the standard
compiler for some Linux distributions.  When it reaches 3.0, we believe that
we will be able to once again compile with it, but, in the meantime, GCC 2.95
should continue to work.

If anyone has successfully compiled Piper/Overflow with another compiler,
please let us know.

Cheers.
Jeff
J.W. Bizzaro                                           jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.org: The Open Lab     http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"All those scientists--they're all alike!  They say they're working for us,
but what they really want is to rule the world!"
  -- Angry Villager, Young Frankenstein