[Pipet Users] semantics, security, ...

Luca.Toldo at merck.de Luca.Toldo at merck.de
Mon Jun 3 07:35:04 EDT 2002

dear pipers,
compliments for your activities. I certainly think that the way you are
approaching the complex task of scalable biocomputing
is novel, however I do not understand few things:

- network-wide communication: CORBA ?
I have the impression that CORBA has been chosen as architecture to connect
components across different machines.
Unfortunately, this is not much "firewall friendly", right ? Any comments
about the use of Piper across secure environments ?

- semantics ?
I miss the point about how to define the semantics of the various
processing elements across and within networks.
Any plan to use DAML-S ?

I am preparing a talk that I will give at NETTAB02, and have to rush
finishing up the paper by friday. If you could drop me a line
or two about the above topics, I will be happy to mention PIPER at that
conference.

Compliments anyhow
and regards
luca

p.s. the comments here shall be interpreted in constructive way, please. No
flame, only wish to understand.

otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents to
any other person. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender  immediately and delete the message and any attachment
from your system.
Merck does not  accept liability for any omissions or errors in this
message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or for damages
resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of this message and
any attachment thereto. Merck does not guarantee that this message is free
of viruses and does not accept liability for any damages caused by any
virus transmitted therewith.