[Pipet Users] the future of piper (was: semantics, security, ...)

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Mon Jun 3 11:57:07 EDT 2002

Pipers,

The future of Piper is uncertain, as we have had *a lot* of trouble
attracting contributors.

As for myself, I have been spending time with more fruitful projects, such as
my organization (Bioinformatics.Org) and my education (I have about a year
left for a Ph.D. in biochemistry).  I've also noticed *many* projects that
are something like Piper, including 2 that we have hosted at
Bioinformatics.Org:

  Systems Biology Workbench (SBW):
  http://bioinformatics.org/sbw/

  FreeMol:
  http://bioinformatics.org/freemol/

ISYS and OpenBSA (hosted elsewhere) are similar too and related to
bioinformatics.

The funny thing is, Bioinformatics.Org had a conference in Arizona, and almost
every talk had something to do with "integrating disparate computing
resources."  I guess this is no longer such a novel idea, probably more
*timely* than anything.

Personally, I am seriously considering taking what I have written for the UIL
(the GUI of Piper) and integrating it with FreeMol, possibly, and having it
limited to a single website (integrating tools at one location and providing a
Web interface for doing that--I'd have to switch the GNOME canvas for
who-knows, maybe imagemaps), e.g., at Bioinformatics.Org.

But, for a distributed system using a traditional GUI, I'll throw my support
(whatever it's worth) behind SBW.  My interests in developing an *Internet
distributed* system have waned, as I think leading such a project requires a
background in CS.

Look to hear more about the direction of Piper later.

Cheers.
Jeff

J.W. Bizzaro                                jeff at bioinformatics.org
Director, Bioinformatics.Org        http://bioinformatics.org/~jeff
"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we
should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention
of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
                   -- Benjamin Franklin