[Proteopedia] NMR format, bot tasks

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 09:43:30 EST 2009

2009/2/10 Ralf Stephan <ralf at ark.in-berlin.de>:
> You wrote
>> We're concerned about DPL exerting too much load on the server. Please talk to Jaime about this.
>
> In that case I propose the following solution using categories:
> - scenes in topic pages referring to PDB.org structures should
>  automatically insert the code [[Category:Topics using 1ABC]]
>  (with 1ABC being that structure). Is this possible?
>
> If possible, then just place on the 1abc structure page the link
> to that category.
>
> For the other idea with a list of enhanced structure pages I propose
> to download the database and create/post that list myself.

Perhaps another extension in this case... The Ask SQL extension could
be installed to give a select few users direct SQL access to the
database. We use this kind of 'back end' trick to work out which
entries in PDBWiki need to be updated in the weekly update cycle.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Asksql

With regard to DPL performance, we found that with cashing enabled on
the DPL queries (and MySQL query cashing), performance wasn't too much
of an issue. Granted, a query over +55,000 structures in the database
can take a couple of minutes to run (unacceptable delay for users) but
once cashed the results are more or less as before. DPLs targeted at
specific categories are much faster, using the index on the category
table. Additionally you can limit the results set size for increased
performance. Perhaps you could even blacklist certain greedy DPL
options.

Please do feel free to experiment with DPL on PDBWiki (no registration
required). I'd be glad to know if you can break it with a malicious
DPL! ;-)

Dan.