[pgw] pygtkwin

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro@geoserve.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:12:06 +0000

Kevin Butler wrote:

> Couple more questions:
>
> 1- ssh: Any suggestions on win32 clients?  (telnet, ftp, cvs) I found
> some stuff on the web, but have only gotten the telnet piece working.

I honestly don't know.  I have never tried to mix Windows and UNIX beyond simple
telnet and FTP.  This message is also posted to the administrator's list at TOL,
so maybe of our 'experts' can help us out.  If we do find some info on CVS on
Windows, it'd be good to put it on the Web.

> 2- I've placed the html files and downloadable archives at:
>
> http://theopenlab.uml.edu/~butler/pygtk
>
> Do you want to put any links anywhere?  I'll plan to do the cvs import and send out a new announcement tonight...

We'd like to keep directories for programming projects in the root Web
directory, so I moved

    /home/butler/public_html/pygtk/*
    /home/httpd/html/pygtkwin/

and placed a symlink for the original.

That means your original URL will work, but we'd like it to be

    http://theopenlab.uml.edu/pygtkwin/

I named it pygtkwin as you suggested in your other e-mail.

> 3- I've done (and been meaning to get back to) some work integrating CPython w/ Java (a la JPython, but before JPython was more than a twinkle in Jim's eye).  When I get back to it, would it be appropriate to put that up in the openlab CVS server?

Hmmm.  That may be of some interest to us.  In case you haven't noticed, The
Open Lab is comprised mainly of people interested in computational biology (or
'bioinformatics') software development under the GNU GPL.

Java is pretty big with most bioinformaticists, but I prefer Python.  So, any
way to integrate Java and Python should be a Good Thing.  But what does the
future hold for this project when there is a prominent JPython project already?
How do the projects differ?

Cheers.
Jeff
--