[pgw] pygtkwin (2)

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro@geoserve.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:34:58 +0000

Kevin Butler wrote:

> > What do you mean by 'integrate'?
>
> I don't expect to have much windows-specific code -- ideally,
> all the changes would be merged back in to the main projects,
> rather than being distributed separately. There are currently
> some build changes I'm not sure how to merge w/ the Unix build,
> but everything else should be merged back in easily.

I guess you're talking about putting some compiler directives in the code that
would make it work on Windows.  I know that some UNIX developers would not want
that in their code.  So, it'll be an uphill battle.

> My primary goal is to avoid branching these projects.  Well, I
> guess _primary_ is to have it working on win32, and avoiding
> branching is secondary, but very important.  ;-)
>
> I haven't heard anything back from either Tor Lillquist or James
> Henstridge on their willingness to accept Windows-related changes.
> I really don't want any political problems with the other players
> in this space!  :-)

I don't know Tor, but James is a real nice guy.  That probably doesn't mean much
regarding our chances, but he's doesn't seem to be the political type.

> I've just been calling it pygtk, and including all the standard
> source as well. Do you think that would be appropriate?
> Or maybe pygtkwin..

I think calling it 'pygtk' would be pretty confusing.  pygtkwin sounds good.  In
fact, I just made the Web directory and of course the mailing list using
'pygtkwin' as a name.  That should probably be the module name too, right?

> > Have you made all your announcements?  I saw just the one on the pygtk list.
>
> I'd like to send a message to the gimpwin-dev list, but
> haven't been on that list and Tor hasn't responded to my
> membership request yet.

It's a little odd that it would be a closed list.

> I'll probably also send an annoucement to the general
> gtk list(s).
>
> Anyplace else?

Definitely the Python newsgroup.

How about Freshmeat?

We should announce the change in Web sites and the new mailing list.

I'd be glad to make these announcements for you.

Cheers.
Jeff
--
                         |        J.W. Bizzaro        |