[ssml] FW: Evolutionary pathway from seq alignment

Dan Bolser dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 25 03:30:18 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Goel, Manisha wrote:

> [...]

Are you talking about trees produced by the alignment programs? or just
the order of the sequences in the alignment? Generally their is no
absolute meaning to the order of the sequences in an alignment - different
programs will use specific or random orderings depending on more or less
arbitary decisions.

If you make a phylogenetic tree from your alignment you get a better
picture of the 'evolutionary pathway' of your sequence. It will be linked
to closly related sequences on close branches and distantly related
sequences on distant branches. However, you should learn more about
phylogenetics before interpreting your trees (as it isn't always simple:)

So you have three stages to think about

Query sequence

1) Find homologues

2) Align homologues

3) Build tree

1,2 and 3 all have different programs and their own problems. The best way
to learn is to try some, read the manuals and the literature :)

Best of luck!