[ssml] Re: pdb-l: All-vs-All Global protein seq alignment score

Karsten Suhre karsten.suhre at igs.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Jan 11 03:33:21 EST 2005

Hi Manisha,

  I am not sure what your problem is exactly, but computing pairwise global
alignments of distantly related proteins makes little sense. In that case I
would rather - for each pair - add a number (5-10) closer homologues for each
protein (50-70% homology) and compute a multiple alignment for that set. Here
T-Coffee would be my program of choice (it computes multiple alignment
scores). On the other hand, if all of your 400 sequences are close
homologues, I would use MUSCLE to align all 400 in one go. I would then use
protdist from phylip to compute phylogenetic distances between all pairs if
that is of use for your purpose.

  Good luck,

  Karsten.