[Bioclusters] mpiBLAST

Aaron Darling bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:41:02 -0500

Hi David,
We've generally experienced the best performance using 2-4 times the number of fragments as worker processes. If you have 34 CPUs you would have 33 workers, so you want more than 66 fragments.  I would try N=75, depending on the size of your database. N does not need to be a multiple of the number of workers because different fragments take different amounts of time to search depending on size and sequence content.
We haven't benchmarked the difference between using ncbi's threads:
mpirun -np 16 mpiblast -a 2
and using 1 mpiBLAST process per cpu:
mpirun -np 32 mpiblast
but I would guess that the former would give better performance as long as you can ensure that only one mpiBLAST process is started per node.

We have posted a paper describing mpiBLAST online at:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~darling/mpiblast-cwce2003.pdf
the paper contains some timing data with regard to variable number of fragments and worker nodes.

-Aaron