[Biococoa-dev] Update

Charles PARNOT charles.parnot at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 26 10:55:12 EST 2005

At 10:10 AM -0500 2/26/05, John Timmer wrote:
>Koen -
>
>You're right on all counts except possibly this one:
>
>> - should BCNucleotide have a copyWithZone method?
>
>Since the BCSymbol copyWithZone method returns self in order to keep these
>things singletons, the super's method should work nicely.
>
>Incidentally, I never liked that implementation (even though I put it there)
>because I don't entirely understand memory zones.  Is the self likely to be
>a problem?  Nobody knew the last time I brought this up, but we've got some
>fresh blood around...
>
>I've got to go into work later today, and I'll implement your suggested
>changes when I get there.
>
>JT

the copy should do:
{
     return [self retain];
}
because copy returns by convention a retained object and the caller is in charge of releasing it. If you don't retain it and the caller releases the copy, the object is gone!

The zone is not an issue here, because you return self. It is supposed to be useful if you create a object and want to keep the ivar objects in the same zone, supposedly for efficient memory management.

I will try to think about the translation too this week-end!

charles

--
Help science go fast forward:
http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xgrid-stanford/