[Biococoa-dev] Sequence Structure

Philipp Seibel biococoa at bioworxx.com
Sun Jul 10 19:42:52 EDT 2005

Hi Koen,

Am 10.07.2005 um 22:17 schrieb Koen van der Drift:

> On Jul 9, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Philipp Seibel wrote:
>

>> Hey,
>>
>> i looked arround for a solution of our sequence structure problem
>> and found a very interesting design pattern called flyweight.
>> It is something similar we did with our BCSymbol structure. Here
>> is my suggestion:
>>
>> <BCSequenceStructure.jpg>
>>
>> I think it's a very flexible structure. The handling with
>> sequences, should to be done by tool-classes.
>>
>> So far my suggestion, please comment :-)
>>

> Hi Phil, interesting picture. What I don't see now are the
> BCSequence subclasses and the BCAbstractSequence class. Are those
> omitted for simplicity or really not present? Also I suggest to
> deprectate the use of BCSequenceType. IMO it is redundant because
> we already are using symbolsets and typed sequences.

I suggest to use one single class to represent a sequence ->
BCSequence. (BCAbstractSequence and others are really not present :-)).
But it seems everybody except from me likes the oversized ( just my
opinion ;-) ) inheritance model.

> I don't understand the BCSymbolAnnotation part of the picture. Is
> this additional or replacing some of the current classes?

This is to replace BCSymbol and BCSymbolSet classes, following the
Flyweight-Pattern. It's hard to explain, perhaps you look at the
links i sent.

> cheers,
>
> - Koen.
>

> ps what program did you use to make the picture?

OmniGraffle 3.x

cheers,

Phil