[BioEdu] Suggestions for a bioinformatics course

Bruno Gaëta bgaeta at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 10 00:19:54 EDT 2006

I have been teaching a course with a mixed audience for a couple of
years. Students are a mixture of computer science graduates and
biology graduates. Fortunately in the last few years I have had
roughly equal numbers of each in the class, so I've been able to
harness this and put the students to work in mixed teams where they
can learn the "other" field from other teammates.

I give them fairly broad exercises that require them to identify and
use software to solve a biological problem. Students work in mixed
team and assist each other but have to submit individual reports (to
avoid situations where the CS students just leave the bio students to
do the bio work and vice versa and they don't learn from each other).
This mirrors the workplace situation where bioinformatics is often an
interdisciplinary team effort.

I also use a series of readings coupled with short online quizzes
over the length of the course that check the students' grasp of basic
biology required to understand the bioinformatics. This helps the CS
students to get to terms with the biology fairly quickly.

Bruno

--
Bruno Gaeta, PhD, Senior Lecturer and Program Director, BE
Bioinformatics

School of Computer Science                     School of
Biotechnology and
and Engineering                                      Biomolecular
Sciences
Ph:  +61 2 9385 7213                                   Ph: +61 2 9385
2056
Fax: +61 2 9385 5533                                  Fax: +61 2 9385
1483

             The University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052
                        - CRICOS Provider No: 00098G -