[Biophp-dev] I'll take a break...

Serge Gregorio biophp-dev@bioinformatics.org
Sat, 17 May 2003 03:27:03 +0800

Nico,

Thanks for the info.  I'll throw some questions your way
re: PDB.  I already asked and the PDB people said that
data prior to 1996 differ a LOT from data that came after.
For example, prior to 1996, they filled positions 73 to 80
with the PDB ENTRY ID and the line number like: 1BPT  93

After 1996, they started using positions 73 to 80 for
storing data (e.g. HELIX section/field).  The problem
is they didn't a good job of separating the pre-1996
and post-1996 data from their FTP site and/or explaining
the distinction in their informational webpages (or at
least, from my experience...).

>Didn't know you were working on that!

Ahehehe, I told you parsers were a priority... let's write
parsers for everything... from the Dead Sea scrolls to Bill
Gate's last will and testament.  *LOL*

BTW, if you know of any other parsers written in PHP out
there (partial or complete), please post a list here so
we can avoid double work.  Thanks!

Cheers!

Serge

--

On Fri, 16 May 2003 12:04:58
 Nico Stuurman wrote:
>Didn't know you were working on that!   Beware, many (most??) of the
>pdb entries in the database do not even stick to the pdb format.  I had
>to go through a lot of trial and error to parse just a few fields
>reliably
>(http://phplabware.sourceforge.net/xlab/plugins/
>pdbs_plugin.php.source.html)
>
>Good luck,