[Pdbwiki-devel] Category membership and the comments extension?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 18:15:49 EDT 2009

Hi Jose,

A little while back you raised a concern about category membership not
updating. Was this strictly to do with categories applied via the
comments extension, or categories in general? At the time I thought it
was an issue with the Job Queue because cats were being applied to
pages via templates. However, I noticed a big discrepancy between the
entries listed here:

* http://pdbwiki.org/index.php/Category:Annotated_PDB_entry and
* http://pdbwiki.org/index.php/Category:Annotated_PDB_entry_discussion

These two categories should have the same number of members, but I saw
a difference of ~15 entries, although the job queue length was zero! I
fixed the discrepancy by manually clicking 'edit' and 'save' on those
entries, forcing an update on the relevant tables.

The job queue length of zero is suspicious, and makes me think that
perhaps the comments extension is circumventing the normal process of
saving text in a page. i.e. it's setting a new category in the
template but not flagging the calling page as in need of update (not
adding it to the job queue).

Is this problem limited to categories added via the comments
extension, or did you see similar behaviour elsewhere? If not, I'll
send a question about the code to mediawiki-l

Cheers,
Dan.