[Biococoa-dev] Oh, one other thing

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 13 11:41:16 EDT 2004

> To implement "savability" we would just have to implement the NSCoding
> protocol, that allows you to save arrays/dictionaries to contain these
> objects. Although it would perhaps be nice if there was a method to output
> these to some kind of plist like format in addition.

Actually, I¹d argue against having this be the primary way we store things.
Coding is a way of storing objects, and is only useful to other Cocoa
programs.  What I¹d like to create is a format that¹s also useful outside of
BioCocoa, so that it¹s useful on other platforms, using other frameworks, in
other programming languages, etc.

In the end, pretty much everything else out there views sequence information
as a string of single-character symbols ­ there¹s no reason our primary
storage mechanism shouldn¹t be the same way, to ensure maximal
interoperability.

John

By the way, I notice I¹m presenting a lot of arguments for or against
things.  I want to make sure that those who do not have English as their
primary language recognize that when I use the term ³argue² I mean it in the
sense of presenting a compelling reason, rather than the sense of  getting
in an upset yelling match ;)