[Biococoa-dev] Joining the team

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 21 17:12:46 EST 2005

I have no problems with this.  If there are more options for decent software
available to me, I feel it's a good thing.  If BioCocoa can shorten the
development time and make for cheaper software than some of the outrageously
overpriced suites currently available, that's also a good thing.

If someone wants to take BioCocoa and make an outrageously overpriced bit of
software, then at least I know I have the same foundation to write something
that will undercut their price ;).

Incidentally, I thought this came up ages ago, and it was Alex who asked
Peter about it then.  Maybe I'm hallucinating after too much time in a
darkened microscope room?

JT

Incidentally, what's the story for re-use of code?  A hypothetical:  If I
were to write code for a commercial project, then donate some of that code
to BioCocoa, would I then have to go back and release the code for the
entire commercial product?  Would I have to explicitly retain copyright to
the shared code to avoid this?  Hasn't been an issue yet, but if we do go
CoreData, I could see it becoming one.