[Biococoa-dev] Initial Subversion import

Charles Parnot charles.parnot at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 13:19:55 EST 2006

> Dear All,
>
> Yesterday afternoon, I worked on setting up our new repository,
> testing it and making sure everything works as expected (WebSVN,
> RSS feeds, ...). When I was done, I was too tired/busy to post a
> notification to the list. But it seems this is no longer necessary
> as Koen already figured out how to check out the rep and even added
> new code, which is great.
>
> For those of you who haven't already tried it, here is a short
> summary of commands that might be useful:
>
> - To checkout the rep: svn checkout svn+ssh://bioinformatics.org/
> svnroot/BioCocoa

Is that for anonymous checkout?
One has to add the username, if different from your username on your
computer: username at bioinformatics.org/......

> - More information on other SVN commands are at: http://
> bioinformatics.org/docs/svn/
> - If you are not familiar with SVN, the free O'Reilly book on SVN
> is excellent: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>
> - Installing SVN on your Mac can best be done using the ready-made
> packages Martin Ott offers on his website: http://
> www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/articles/page/3

What version are you guys using? Just to troubleshoot a problem I
have (see below).

> - As Jim mentioned, SVNX is an excellent, open-source Cocoa front
> end to SVN. I'm using it since version 0.8 or something like that,
> and it's really awesome. For me, it worked much better than Xcode's
> SVN support too. You can get it at: http://
> www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/svnx/features/

Same here. SvnX is much better than using Xcode. Xcode is limited to
files loaded into the project, and I found it easier to have to
separate apps for coding and versioning. Somehow, separating the 2
tasks made things easier to control.

> - When using SVN with a front-end, (either SVNX or XCode), make
> sure to put your public key on the bioinformatics.org server
> (instructions are included in the DeveloperDocs).

I have a funny thing happening:
* ssh works fine with my key; I can ssh in without typing a password
* svn+ssh does not seem to use the key thing; it asks for my
password; actually, it asks 3 times, and I really have to enter the
right password 3 times, so it is like every operation needs some
authentication, and my authentication does not last.
* as a result, I can't use svnX... only the CLI...argggHhh!

I will try to setup a new fresh key, but if you guys had a idea of
what is going on, let me know :-)

> - The BioCocoa SVN RSS feed can be found at: feed://
> bioinformatics.org/websvn/rss.php?repname=BioCocoa&path=%
> 2F&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1

This is ultra-super-mega-cool

charles

--