[Biococoa-dev] [ANN] EnzymeX3

Alexander Griekspoor a.griekspoor at nki.nl
Fri Mar 31 02:56:28 EST 2006

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that Tom and I have released EnzymeX 3, the
second app that uses the BioCocoa standalone reader to read sequence
files.
Check it out at mekentosj.com!
Cheers,
Alex

******************************
Announcement: EnzymeX 3 - To cut or not to cut, no longer a question!

Amsterdam, March 31st 2006

Mek & Tosj like to announce a completely rewritten version of one
their most popular programs, EnzymeX. EnzymeX has become a favorite
tool of many molecular biologists using a mac. It is a program
developed to help them determine which restriction enzymes they
should use to cut their DNA of interest. In addition, it gives all
the specific properties of these enzymes to make sure that every
digestion is a success.
One of the most requested features people wanted to see in EnzymeX
was the ability to load their DNA of interest and analyze where
exactly the different enzymes would cut. Sure there are other
programs that can do this, but why do they have to look like coming
straight from the 1980's or from another platform? Now the long wait
is over and we have finally created a DNA sequence editor that brings
all those features and the look and feel you can expect to come with
a true MacOSX program.

New in EnzymeX 3:
What is not? We have completely redesigned the program, too many new
things too mention.
Here are a few a the main new features:
	- Support of many DNA sequence formats through the BioCocoa core
	- Direct download of sequences from NCBI's Entrez DNA database
     	- Finding of Open Reading Frames and translation from DNA to
Protein
     	- Enzyme Restriction maps
     	- Smart Quick Search, with Motifs searches
     	- Mini enzyme inspector showing all the enzyme info you ever need
	- EnzymeX plugin architecture for custom extensions
	- And much much more...

You can find more information about EnzymeX at: http://
www.mekentosj.com/enzymex
Download EnzymeX directly from: http://www.mekentosj.com/enzymex/
enzymex.dmg

Mek & Tosj are Alexander Griekspoor and Tom Groothuis, two phD
students at the 4th floor of the Netherlands Cancer Institute. Headed
by the characteristic professor Sjaak Neefjes, we are doing cell
biological research studying the immune system and cellular
transport. To make our lives a little bit less complicated, we wrote
LabAssistant, a tool to organize scientific experiments, notes,
reminders, etc. (http://www.mekentosj.com/labassistant), and iRNAi, a
program to easily find an generate the building blocks for a
technique called RNA interference. With our latest and most popular
program 4Peaks we won the Apple Design Award for best MacOSX student
project in 2004.
  Today we have released a complete new version of our popular
program for molecular biologists: EnzymeX 3

Sincerly,
Mek & Tosj

Alexander Griekspoor
Tom Groothuis