[BioEdu] Lanuages and environments

Martin Jambon martin_jambon at emailuser.net
Wed Feb 14 18:27:47 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, J.W. Bizzaro wrote:

> Paulo Nuin wrote:
> > In my regular work, I currently use a lot of C++, Python and bash
> > scripts. I was never able to program in Perl, and Java looks like a
> > mess to me.
>
> It's interesting that you consider Java to be more intimidating than C++.
>
> As for myself, I prefer C and PHP these days.  PHP is not thought of as
> an analytical language, but it's as capable as any other.  Plus it looks
> like C (making it simple to switch between them), and it even runs on
> the command line.

Personally I use OCaml, and I stick with it because it allows me to be
extremely productive without sacrificing speed.

For those interested, these links are a good starting point:

  Benefits of OCaml: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ocaml/
  Tutorial for C/C++/Java/Perl programmers: http://www.ocaml-tutorial.org/

There is also Microsoft's F#, which is pretty much the same as OCaml but
for the .NET runtime.

Note that this is not a call for discussion or a flame war.
You can think of it as an infomercial if you like except that I don't get
paid for it.

Thanks

Martin

--