[ghemical-devel] what about localization of ghemical ?

Jean Bréfort jean.brefort@ac-dijon.fr
15 Jun 2004 18:45:10 +0200

--=-ZYdrdd1XJ8bdX9UqGTic

Le lun 14/06/2004 =C3=A0 11:39, Tommi Hassinen a =C3=A9crit :
> Hello,
>=20
> I think that localization is a very helpful thing indeed, but
> unfortunately I do not know much how it is usually done. But I would like
> to help as much as I can...
>=20
> The current situation is that the core library "libghemical" is quite
> independent on operation environment, but the "ghemical" app is a gnome-1
> app. So, should we localize the app only or both the lib and the app? And
> could you describe the steps needed for localization?
>=20

Localization is easy to implement (as always when you have done it at
least once).
In configure.in, you need to add something as:

ALL_LINGUAS=3D"de fi fr pl" #this is an arbitrary list of locales
AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
GETTEXT_PACKAGE=3DAC_PACKAGE_NAME
AC_SUBST(GETTEXT_PACKAGE)
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "$GETTEXT_PACKAGE",[Package name for
internationalization])

Then you need to create a po directory and add po/Makefile.in to
AC_OUTPUT (in configure.in).
You also need a list of files containing strings to translate
(po/POTFILES.in).

Then run intltoolize in the ghemical directory to generate some needed
files (you need the intltool package).

In the files, add #include <glib/gi18n.h> (from glib-2.0) and mark the
strings to translate with un underscore (sometimes you need N_ instead
as explained at http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/).
example:

puts(_("This is a string to translate"));

Of course, I can help with that (and I'll do the french translation).

Regards,

Jean

--=-ZYdrdd1XJ8bdX9UqGTic

--=-ZYdrdd1XJ8bdX9UqGTic--