[ghemical-devel] Re: Schedules

Tommi Hassinen thassine at messi.uku.fi
Fri Mar 10 06:08:30 EST 2006

Hello,

and pardon me, and my poor English ; I tried to read your mail carefully,
and I understood so that your main concern is that you would like to have
the release v2.0 out soon. Please just correct me if I'm wrong. Ymmärrän
suomea paljon nopeammin ja vähemmällä vaivalla.(*)  :)

> So, this e-mail is just to spark the discussion and to see what your opinion
> is on this topic.  It also seems important to get these releases out since,
> as you say, you're already working on Ghemical 3, which seems a bit premature
> considering there hasn't even been a 2 release yet.

The version 3 sources are at CVS mainly for the purpose that people can
look there and see how things are organized, so that it is possible to
port features there, when the time is right. I don't want to "push" v3 in
any way...

> I guess from an engineering standpoint, the question to ask is whether enough
> stuff has been fixed up and/or added in the VERSION_2_BRANCH to warrant a new
> release (we believe so i'm sure you got that impression already).  However, I
> have no point of view on bug fixes as anyone using GAMESS is still stuck
> using the -gms version 1.01.07.  I also recieved an e-mail informing me that
> Fedora/RedHat is not even going to support GTK1 / Gnome1 anymore.  That puts
> us in a bind also.

Ok, what I will do during following weeks/months is, that I keep adding
small improvements here and there ; so it's not that critical IMO which of
the future versions will be declared to be v2.0. More important is that
the v2.0 candidate would be tested as well as possible.

Therefore I suggest that we just set a fixed date for the release of v2.0.
For me May will be a busy month, so what about April? Any comments, ideas
or suggestions?

Regards,

 	Tommi

...almost forgot this one:  :)
(*) : I understand Finnish a lot quicker and with less effort.