[Owl-devel] suggestions for updating the package structure in OWL

Jose M. Duarte jose.m.duarte at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:07:43 EDT 2010

Well that sounds like a very reasonable plan. I especially like the idea of
having a core package and project packages, that will hopefully make things
a lot clearer.

And I would say it's better doing this soon rather than waiting to do it
when it might be too difficult.

One thing I'd add to that if we are going to rearrange things is to also use
the standard java layout with the DNS name as unique identifier. I've just
checked and (surprisingly!) the owl.org domain is not taken! So I'm
considering getting it. So basically we could name things org.owl.package
(which is still a nice short name). Well now that I see Dan's email it's
true that OWL is an acronym that is very likely to have been used a lot
(even in a dyslexic way ;-) ). As he points out it is already in use in the
bioinformatics context. Well I would say it is still ok, we knew that we had
chosen a very popular name anyway...

One important question to ask before rearranging things is which external
code do we want to keep up-to-date and linked to the latest development
version of the library and which one we can consider "frozen" so that
there's no need to update it (it will still be able to run with older
tags/branches but not with the trunk). For sure CMView should be kept
up-to-date. Any others?

Jose