[Pipet Devel] rfc for loci web pages

Carlos Maltzahn carlosm at netapp.com
Fri Aug 27 15:59:36 EDT 1999

Looks nice -- but if you have a slow connection, the huge logo and the
changing background can be really annoying. I prefer simple and fast web
pages (e.g. www.python.org).

Carlos

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Gary Van Domselaar wrote:

  Locians,

  I have a template page for the Loci pages ready for viewing

  http://gvd.v-wave.com/loci

  Its JUST a template page, so not all the links work, and I'm trying to
  get a couple of bugs out.  Let me tell you, trying to use style sheets
  for positioning is a waste of time like you would not believe! So I have
  given up and used tables for positioning.  Here is a small run down of
  the web page design

  1. Each web page has a header file that is 'included' by php -- thats the
  logo.

  2. The web page grabs a random background each time you reload -- very
  trippy!

  3. Then there is a bunch of table formatting to prepare for the main content
  and the table of contents.

  4. The file php 'includes' a trailer as well - so far just a button to
  the propaganda.themes page, but i'll probably put an apache logo, and
  maybe a loci button !

  Everyone that has seen the template pages so far says they are very nice.
  The lambda logo is a hit with everyone-- it's basically ripped off from
  half-life (rocking video game) which is in turn ripped off from Aphex Twin
  (ambient music).

  You can also go to

  http://gvd.v-wave.com/

  and there is a template page for the open lab there too, but it's no
  different than the loci page for all practical purposes.  For fun you can
  navigate to the loci page from the tol main page by clicking Development
  projects, then The Loci Project.  From there you can go the Loci
  development page or the GNU Lesser Public Licence link--but not all of
  these pages are 'sync'd yet--hopefully before the end of the week!

  I await your comments!

  --Gary
  Gary Van Domselaar		gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
  Faculty of Pharmacy 		Phone: (780) 492-4493
  University of Alberta		FAX:   (780) 492-5305
  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

  pipet-devel maillist  -  pipet-devel at bioinformatics.org