[Pipet Devel] Web pages

Gary Van Domselaar gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
Sun Jul 4 21:54:50 EDT 1999

On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Gary Van Domselaar wrote:

> Gary, by "GNOME web page design", do you mean the layout or the graphics?
Both.

> Can you come up with a one-page prototype so we can  get an idea as to how it
> would look?

no prob.

> Some other things:

 User
        Screenshots

    Developer
        List of developers
        Development snapshots

Got it.

I'd like the option of
> > writing php for dynamic web page generation, but I dont think it is activated in the
> > apache web server right now.
>
> Hmmm.  Alan Williams (Alan at TheWilliamsFamily.org) just offered to do some PHP
> scripting too.  Maybe you too can work together on this?  One thing we were
> looking to do was put a table of contents on the right side of each Loci page.
> But it would have to be dynamically generated in case there are some changes.  I
> started doing this statically, but it just became too much to keep up with as I
> added new pages.

Let me see what I can do with php.  Website Meta Language (WML)
(http://www.engelschall.com/sw/wml/)  may also be useful here.

> From a recent message:
> >
> > I hope to have
> > the web pages a little more complete by then, so that they can visit the site.  I might
> > need your help for technical review.
>
> Sure.  There are some rather lengthy discussions that we had about Loci's
> design.  I was thinking that they might be turned into technical essays that we
> can post.

Thats what I was thinking as well.

> > A month isnt a lot of time, so I think I will have
> > to do the pages quickly rather than correctly.  I'm not super-happy with netscape
> > composer, but I think I will develop the pages with it for now.
>
> What have you used before?

Composer, vi, and perl.  The problem with composer is the way it gets
confused about nested bullets and list items, and the way it reformats
the html.

A friend of mine suggested I use cascading style sheets to format the web
pages, which is more line with the XML concept than standard html. I'll
check out some tutorials on it and then decide if i can tackle the loci
pages that way.  Would I be correct to assume that the html generation
technology that we adopt will be used for TOL pages as well?

--Gary

Gary Van Domselaar		gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
Faculty of Pharmacy 		Phone: (780) 492-4493
University of Alberta		FAX:   (780) 492-5305
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada