[Pipet Devel] Re: [Pipet Devel] summary for web page and announcements

Gary Van Domselaar gvd at redpoll.pharmacy.ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 25 09:14:45 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
> > And after we get that put up, I would like to make some
> announcements about
> > the collaboration.  I know that we don't have a working system yet,
> but I can
> > mention that Overflow, GMS and Loci have merged.  And I can mention
> what our
> > plans are.  This is very important so that people know we are here,
> and so
> > that no-one tries to make a VSh of their own ;-)
>
>     Well, before we start announcing we should probably actually
> decide on a final name for the program...
>     I was thinking about this a bit in my genetics class and came up
> with an idea for a name:
>
> Hedgehog

Hehe, yeah, their are a lot of derivatives of this name, includin the
'sonic the hedgehog' gene!

I know jeff like Vsh, and I'm okay with it, but If i were to proffer a
name, I think:

DataFlower

would be kind of cute.  Abstracted out (the way it is know) our
application is really a data connectivity brokering application, taking
data from one resource and passing it through others in a
network-distributed environment.  The data 'flows' from one 'resource'
to another under the control of a data flow gui, and really, DataFlower
encapsulates that idea well, and is precocious enough to attract some
noteriety imo.  it may sound 'pansy', but geez, just look at all the
daisys in the gnome distribution!

regards,

g.
--