[Pipet Devel] libXML WAS thoughts on UI->DL communication

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Sat Apr 15 14:01:55 EDT 2000

>     I don't really know anything about libXML (since I'm using python
> xml tools) but I read somewhere there was a SAX interface for libXML
> (...looking for it...okay, here is tutorial on it ->
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/xml-sax/xml-sax.html). Could
> you guys use that interface? It seems like the SAX parsing interface
> should remain stable (that is the point of SAX, I guess) so then you
> wouldn't have to worry about the interfaces changes to libXML.
>     This is basically what I do in python, and then I don't have to
> worry about underlying changes in the parsers. Or is it the SAX
> interface that is changing? (in which case I'm completely off base and
> should be smacked around :)

It's not that much a maintenance issue, then just portability. From what I
understand the changes from libXML 1 to 2 are things like struct member names
(like "childs" replaced by "children"). The upgrade could be made by "sed". It's
just something that's annoying.

	Jean-Marc

--
Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca