[Pipet Devel] bonobo

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Fri Jun 2 14:52:22 EDT 2000

Brad Chapman wrote:

>     People keep talking and talking about bonobo and python, and I
> know that Jeff mentioned it earlier as being important for having the
> Gnome GUI talk to different gnome programs. Is this still the case? If
> so, are there any programs specifically that you'd like to talk to
> through bonobo?

Yeah, if many Gnome apps become bonobo-ized, then Pied can show them in a
windowlet.  I think that would be important.  Also, I'm not sure if I would
use bonobo, pygtk, or pyglade to make widgets appear in windowlets.
Additionally, bonobo may allow Pied to make use of an SVG viewer, as I've been
writing so much about.  Yeah, there are lots of apps :-)

>     The reason I ask is that I thought I would like to try and take a
> serious stab at seeing how exactly to do this, so I can figure out
> exactly how much would need to be done before bonobo stuff woudl
> actually work in python. ie. does it require gnorba? If so, does
> gnorba require ORBit? and so on... Plus, I'm also kind of interested
> in learning more about how bonobo works, since it seems like a really
> nice implementation to steal things from :-).

Post this to the pygtk list.

You may also want to check the gnome-devel, orbit, and pyorbit lists to see if
anyone is working on it already.

>     Anyways, is there enought interest in this on the Gnome front to
> look into it more, or is it a waste of time? Just curious.

It may be worth-while, if you're bored.  And I'd appreciate it, but it's not
critical, yet.

Cheers.
Jeff
--