[Pipet Devel] GMS

J.W. Bizzaro bizzaro at geoserve.net
Mon Mar 13 07:22:28 EST 2000

jarl van katwijk wrote:

> I'm developing GMS, a project very similair to Loci (http://sunsite.auc.dk/gms).

Jarl, looking at GMS, it appears you have accomplished much of what we haven't
even touched yet: Developing an API for getting independent programs to talk
nice to each other and the core.

On the other hand, we have been concentrating on developing a nice GUI plus an
API for getting several different GUIs to talk to our core.

Perhaps we can merge projects.  Brad (who has been developing our core) would
kill me if we had to scrap Loci's own core, but why don't we take a look at
each other's designs and see where we can meet?

As I mentioned, Python is written in C and has language bindings to it, so we
may be able to make a Python wrapper for your core that will allow us to make
Python interfaces.  And not just GUI interfaces: We were planning on making a
natural language interface that will let the user 'talk' to Loci.

A C core would be faster, which is an advantage to us.  And Python interfaces
are easier to make than those in C, which would be an advantage to you.

What do you think?  Again, Loci has a very well thought out design, but I
think we may be able to reach a middle ground.

                      |        BIOINFORMATICS.ORG        |
                      |           The Open Lab           |