[Pipet Devel] GMS

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Mon Mar 13 10:19:29 EST 2000

>> As I mentioned, Python is written in C and has language bindings to
it, so
> we
>> may be able to make a Python wrapper for your core that will allow
us to
 make
>> Python interfaces.
>
> Oh, I'm forgetting that you're using CORBA.  There are ORBit
bindings to
> Python (2 projects in fact).  So, maybe we can handle the GUI part
of the
> project and you can handle the infrustructure.

I also had good luck making ORBit and Fnorb (an almost all python
ORB implementation) talk to each other (with the stuff I did on the
biopython project), so we shouldn't even have to wait for/develop
python bindings for ORBit. We could start ASAP, provided Jarl is
interested in trying to combine with us. From my quick glance at the
GMS code, it looks like we both have a lot to offer each other, and I
would definately be for merging the projects, if possible.
    Hopefully we will be able to find a compromise that lets Jarl keep
creative freedom over the goals of GMS, and lets Loci take care of
its objectives. I think we are too close in design goals to not try
working together for a better overall final product.

Brad