[Pipet Devel] Re: which handles distribution (was: vsh?)

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at hermes.usherb.ca
Thu Mar 16 13:03:02 EST 2000

> > I still think there's nothing that keeps Overflow from doing distributed stuff,
> > and I think I've found a way to do it (simply by creating two new node types).
> > Now the problem is that I've never used sockets before. Is anyone interested in
> > helping out. This would actually serve two goals at once: See it we can get
> > networking in Overflow, and have someone in Loci (or GMS) to get some
> > "experience" with Overflow. Anyone interrested?
> This is a VERY important question:
>   If Overflow handles application distribution and integration,
>   what will happen to GMS and all of its code???  This is what
>   GMS is designed to do.
> We CANNOT thow GMS away.  Jarl simply wouldn't collaborate if we did.

I'm not talking about throwing GMS away... I'm just saying that we could
probably paste the GMS code into Overflow nodes and have all the GMS
functionnality into Overflow. So far, I haven't found anything that can't be
inserted into an Overflow node (GMS might prove me wrong, but I don't think).
The suggestion of writing network code was more as a proof of concept... I don't
want to rewrite all GMS.

As for the name... why not dfsh (data-flow shell) or fsh (flow shell)? I think
RAIDE sounds a bit more like RAID... plus "raide" means "stiff" in french.

Jean-Marc Valin
Universite de Sherbrooke - Genie Electrique
valj01 at gel.usherb.ca