[Pipet Devel] kapi (was: Piper HOWTO)

Jarl van Katwijk jarl at yournews.nl
Mon Jan 29 08:26:58 EST 2001

> > Otherwise, we'll probably have to distribute the library separately.  That's
> > the only legal alternative.
>
> Wouldn't there be a need for a "Linux Kapi", which is what you're working on?

I'll put the Linux version online when it's ok.

> Question: If kapi/KQML is a standard, why is kapi so old and undeveloped?

This is the only implementation in C,  the other (alive) projects are all Java.
Or commecial ones.

>  We should (1) contact them (if there is anyone to contact), (2) tell them what

>  we want to do with the library, and (3) ask if we can relicense the derivative

>  under the L/GPL or ask if they really don't care what we do.
I think there wont be anyone to contact anymore. I send an email to the contact
person some weeks ago if I could get a copy of the most recent version, but got
no reply at all. I'll try again right now and also ask about these legal issues.

>  Otherwise, we'll probably have to distribute the library separately.  That's
>  the only legal alternative.
Arf. That would suck, because I already dislike the large number of dependancies
that need to be installed for Piper.

bye,
jarl