[Proteopedia] Redirect when Java is missing?

Eran Hodis eran.hodis at weizmann.ac.il
Tue Feb 16 13:56:41 EST 2010

That's fair.

The current behavior is as follows. If a user does not have Java installed (which would prevent the use of Jmol), then she is redirected to a non-Jmol version of the Main Page, which also instucts her to download and install Java. This functions to alert the user of her lack of Java, but also prevents her from browsing the site.

Another potential solution is to detect a user's lack of Java and simply display a very obvious banner at the top of the page notifying the user that she does not have Java installed, and where to get it if she wants to browse Proteopedia with interactive 3d models.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this alternative, or other alternatives, for the experience we would want to provide for a user without Java.

Eran