[BioBrew Users] is BioBrew right for me?

J.W. Bizzaro jeff at bioinformatics.org
Wed Dec 7 10:03:37 EST 2005

Hi Carlo,

If you're not that familiar with Linux, you may want to try a LiveCD version
based on Knoppix Linux:

   http://bioinformatics.org/vlinux/
   http://bioknoppix.hpcf.upr.edu/

That way, you won't need to partition your drive.

DNALinux and Bio-Linux are also hosted here.  DNALinux doesn't seem to be
active right now, but I could be wrong.  Bio-Linux is actually a hard drive
image, last I remember.

There are a few others that have been posted on the news forum over the last
couple years.  Personally, I've only worked with RedHat-based distros.

BioBrew currently supports just Rocks Linux for clusters, which is based on
RedHat Enterprise.  It's probably not the best option for someone looking to
experiment with Linux on a laptop :-)

This may be a good question for the main forum:

   bbb at bioinformatics.org

Cheers,
Jeff

Carlo Lapid wrote:
> I'm a molecular biology student interested in learning more about
> bioinformatics. I plan to purchase a new laptop very soon, and thought
> I'd have it partitioned, with a distribution of linux that's geared
> towards bioinformatics installed in the second partition. That way I can
> do most of my work with the first partition, but use the second
> partition to familiarize myself with both the linux environment and
> standard bioinformatics tools and software. (I've heard that linux is
> the way to go for anyone serious about doing work in bioinformatics).
>
> My question is, what distribution of linux is right for me? I've heard
> of BioBrew, Bio-Linux, DNALinux, and others, and I'm not sure which one
> I should install. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
>
> Here are some points I'm considering:
>
> 1) I'm hardly familiar with Linux, so I'd like a distribution that's
> easy to install and learn.
> 2) It has to be free, something I can just download from the Internet.
> 3) The laptop I'm getting has 80 GB of disk space, I'm intending to
> partition it maybe 60-20. So whatever distribution I'm getting should
> fit well into 20 GB.
>
> Any help would be immensely appreciated.
>
> Carlo

J.W. Bizzaro
Bioinformatics Organization, Inc. (Bioinformatics.Org)
E-mail: jeff at bioinformatics.org
Phone:  +1 508 890 8600