• Subscribe

• Jobs Forum
    (Career Center)
  • Submit
  • Archives
  • Subscribe
  • News & Commentary - Message forums

BBC News: Zebrafish Genome Next
    Submitted by Gary Van Domselaar; posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 (2 comments)

Submitter

"UK scientists who decoded a third of the human genome say their next target will be the zebrafish. They will use the genetic data from the colourful animal to help them decipher the functions of human genes. The work could shed light on common human birth defects and a host of other health problems, including those of the heart, blood and nervous system. The three-year project will be carried out at the Sanger Centre, just outside Cambridge, in an initiative that will again be funded by the Wellcome Trust medical research charity.

The humble zebrafish, like the mouse and the fruit fly, has long been used as a model for human health in laboratory studies. Its genetic material, or genome, is about half the size of our own. The zebrafish has similar blood, kidney and optical systems to that of humans. "

Full Story:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1034000/1034366.stm

The Sanger Center
    http://www.sanger.ac.uk

Expanded view | Monitor forum | Save place

Zebrafish Rule!
    Submitted by J.W. Bizzaro; posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2000
    Submitter They make great aquarium fish, as I tell everyone. You can find them in a pet store as "Danios" or "Zebra Danios". They are schooling fish, which means you should get 3 or more :-)
    trouble in digesting of DNA genome
    Submitted by Nobody; posted on Friday, February 20, 2004
    I 'm going to perform a Southern Blot analysis but I have difficulties in digesting genomic DNA from total adult Zebrafish; I've extracted DNA using different protocols like that of Sambrook et al (i.e. Maniatis) or Akimenko, from Blin and Stanford, resulting in uncut DNA. I'm very disappointed.
    Start a new thread:
    You have to be logged in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2024 Scilico, LLC · Privacy Policy